There’s nothing new or revolutionary in this post: just a reminder as to why you should drink more water! Making sure you drink enough water daily is one of the single healthiest things you can do.
How many glasses of water did you drink today?
Eight glasses a day (two liters) is a good start. Three liters is even better, especially if you are physically active.
Benefits of drinking more water
- Feeling full (not as hungry) – this is especially important for weight loss
- Healthier skin – keeps the skin moist
- Detoxing the body – water helps flush the toxins out faster
- Keeping your brain working and mind sharp
- Better digestion – water allows food to move through the body
- Proper hydration – keeps cells moving
The list goes on. When it comes to water, the benefits are truly endless. Water is ~65% of our body (and 70% of the brain), and we cannot survive if deprived of it for more than three days.
Do not deprive your body of the fluids it deserves.
Tips for staying hydrated throughout the day:
- Keep a glass by your bed. Drink it as soon as you get up in the morning.
- Get a water bottle (1L+ capacity) and bring it wherever you go
- Take frequent (e.g. every hour, on the hour) water breaks in the office
Try this formula for your daily fluid intake:
- 80% pure water (~2-3 Liters)
- 15% white or green tea (~400-650mL)
- 5% everything else, including alcohol (~250-400mL)
This mix maximizes health benefits with pleasure.
Alcohol is not essential by any means, but studies have shown that very moderate drinking (red wine, beer) could be good for your heart in the long term. Cutting out all alcohol is a great exercise in self control, but not necessary – just limit yourself to 1-2 drinks per day.
The most important part is getting enough water.
Make it a habit, and benefit for life.
Less impurities, more water